Dr. William M. Fitzgerald (B.Sc (Hons), M.Sc, Ph.D.)
Senior Research Scientist - Cyber Physical Systems Security
United Technologies Research Centre Ireland,
4th Floor, Penrose Business Centre, Penrose Wharf,
On a professional capacity, William servers as a Committee Member of the Cloud Security Alliance SLA Working Group. He also serves as a Program Committee Member for SECRYPT, IFIP DBSec, IFIP SEC, IWSAC, AIMSA, SETOP and CRiSIS. He has also served as a Publications Chair for SETOP and CRiSIS. William acts as a reviewer for a number of computer security journals and conferences.
In the past, William held a role as a Senior ResearchTechnologist within the Center of Excellence at EMC Ireland. He carried out research on Cloud and Data Center infrastructure security configuration management. While at EMC, William formed part of an EU wide multidisciplinary and multi-partner research team collaborating on the EU FP7 SPECS Cloud security project.
Previous to that, William held a role as a Postdoctoral Research Fellow at the Department of Computer Science, University College Cork and was a member of the Cork Constraint Computation Centre (4C). He carried out research (directed by Dr. Simon Foley) on network security configuration, threat management and cyber-physical security.
William holds a Ph.D. in Computer Security from University College Cork. He also holds the following degrees M.Sc. (research) and B.Sc. (honours) both from N.U.I. Maynooth. He previously held research posts at Waterford Institute of Technology's TSSG and at Ericsson Applied Research Laboratories, Ireland.
Research Interests (include)
- Cyber-Physical Security Configuration Management:
- - Anomaly Analysis.
- Autonomic Network Security Configuration Management:
- - Firewall Synthesis & Analysis.
- - SAN Switch Synthesis & Analysis.
- - Smartphone Security.
- Threat & Vulnerability Management:
- - (Decentralised) Semantic Threat Graphs.
- Compliance-Driven Security Configuration:
- - Best Practice Standards.
- - For example, NIST SP 800 series, NIST SCAP and RFC's.
- Cloud Security & next generation Data Center (ngDC):
- - Automated SLA negotiation.
- - Automated SLA Monitoring.
- - Automated SLA Enforcement.
- - Automated ngDC and Cloud systems security configuration.
- Ontology Engineering:
- - Applying Semantic Modelling and Reasoning Techniques to the Security Domain.
- - For example, firewall, XMPP, SAN switch, threat modelling and SCAP domains.